Keto egg muffins are an easy grab and go breakfast that are perfect for busy mornings. With less than one gram of carbs per muffin, this easy keto breakfast recipe may become your go-to way to stick to keto whenever you’re on the go!
Add this recipe to your weekly keto meal prep to whip up a batch of keto bacon egg muffins so you can have a healthy breakfast all week long.
A great way to get great results on keto is with easy recipes filled with high quality ingredients. Keep reading to learn why you should ditch the low carb breakfast bars and shakes, and make keto breakfast recipes like this instead.
Before we get into all of the details, I wanted to let you know this blog contains affiliate links. I may receive a small commission if you click through. I also link to the same info that helped me lose 100 pounds with a low carb lifestyle. Click through those links so this info can help you too!
Why Make Homemade Keto Muffins?
You may wonder what’s the point of making easy low carb egg muffins when you can grab a keto-friendly breakfast bar instead? Or what about a pack of egg bites from the drive thru? Isn’t that the same thing?
It’s definitely not the same thing. Even though breakfast bars and little bites from the drive thru seem like a great breakfast, these options are usually still high in total carbs. In order to get long term results with keto – counting total carbs is where it’s at!
Take the Bacon & Gruyere egg bites from Starbucks as an example. If you grab these for breakfast, you’re starting your day with 9 total grams of carbs for two small bites. That’s a lot of carbs early in the day for someone who only eats a total of 20 grams of carbs for the entire day. But that’s not the only problem when following a keto diet.
These low-carb egg muffins have more than 20 ingredients. I tried to get an exact count, but with all of the words I couldn’t pronounce – I lost track. Some of the ingredients I did recognize, like maltodextrin and corn starch, are no-nos on a ketogenic diet.
The same thing goes for many low carb breakfast bars and shakes. Food marketers attempt to trick you by proudly displaying the net carb count on the package. When you go by that number, losing weight with keto becomes difficult. This is because your body is likely counting all of the carbs. And that says nothing about all of the additional ingredients added that you can’t pronounce.
How to Make Keto Breakfast Egg Muffins
Now that we’ve discussed the importance of making good quality homemade meals, let’s chat about how to make these easy egg muffins.
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. You can either spray a 12 count muffin pan with non stick cooking spray, or line each muffin slot with a standard muffin tin. Both options make for easy cleanup.
While the oven heats up, chop the bacon. Then cook the bacon in a frying pan for 5-10 minutes, or until it reaches your desired level of crispness. Even though the muffins bake in the oven, fry the bacon until it’s fully cooked for this keto egg muffin recipe. Then add set the crispy bits of bacon on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Next, crack ten large eggs into a a large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs with a whisk.
Then stir in the cooked bacon, cheese, diced green onions, heavy cream, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Combine well with the whisk.
Pour the egg mixture into a large measuring cup. Use the spouted cup to fill the muffin tins. Fill each tin only 3/4’s full since the keto egg cups will rise while baking.
Then place the keto breakfast muffins into the oven and bake until the egg muffins rise and the centers are fully cooked. This should take 20 – 25 minutes.
The perfect way to complete these keto egg muffin cups is by topping them with a pat of butter. This not only adds an extra layer of healthy fat to this delicious recipe, but it also adds an extra layer of flavor!
Keto Egg Muffins with Bacon Recipe Notes
If you’re sensitive to dairy, you can make a few simple swaps to make this recipe dairy free:
- Instead of turning these into cheese egg muffins, just leave the cheddar cheese out. This recipe has so many other tasty ingredients that you won’t even miss it!
- You can also skip the heavy whipping cream and use coconut milk instead. I do this with a lot of keto recipes since I’m sensitive to dairy.
- Feel free to change up the main ingredients in this recipe to make it your own. Chopped bell peppers, parmesan cheese, or even fresh spinach would all make great additions to this easy keto egg muffin recipe.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for an easy make ahead breakfast for later in the week.
- If you’ve been in the low calorie diet world for some time, you may be tempted to use turkey bacon instead of the full fat kind. Just keep in mind that extra fat is a good thing when it comes to a keto diet.
If you feel like you have an aversion to higher fat meats, this could signal a digestion problem. One of the best things you can do for your health (and weight loss efforts) is to take the free keto digestion course. This is the course that helped me finally lose weight after decades of struggling in yo-yo diet misery, and I’ve been a huge fan of the course ever since. There’s no better health information out there that’s completely free!
Don’t forget to save this recipe to your favorite easy keto breakfast ideas Pinterest board. Keep scrolling for the recipe card and nutrition information.
Lose More Weight with Keto
If you’re new to keto, or even if you’ve followed keto for a while but you want to take your results to the next level, register for the Keto Quick Start Course!
In less than 60 minutes, you’ll learn everything you need to know to jumpstart your keto plan. This is the same course Keto Challengers use to lose between 10 – 25 lbs in only 3 weeks! Get into a fat burning state fast with this simple plan.
With features like the Mix and Match Meal Plan, plus the Flip the Fat Loss Switch bonus, you’ll save the time, money, and frustration that comes with following a plan that isn’t customized for you!
Keto Egg Muffins with Bacon
More Low Carb Breakfast Recipes from Eating Fat is the New Skinny:
Ham and Egg Cups
Easy Scrambled Eggs
Garlic and Herb Scrambled Eggs
Bacon and Egg Muffins
A simple meal prep breakfast to help you stick to keto!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 - 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Keto Breakfast Recipe
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Keto / Low Carb
- Diet: Diabetic
- 10 eggs
- 12 slices of bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup green onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Nonstick cooking spray or muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Slice bacon into bits. Cook bacon in a frying pan over high heat for 5-10 minutes, depending on your desired crispness. Once fully cooked, transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- While bacon cooks, spray muffin tins with cooking spray or line with muffin tins
- Then beat the eggs in large mixing bowl with a whisk.
- Stir in fully cooked bacon, cheese, green onions, cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Combine well with a whisk.
- Add mixture evenly to muffin tins. Tins should be about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until egg muffins rise and centers are fully cooked.
- Top each muffin with 1/3 tablespoon of butter.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 138.5
- Sugar: .8
- Sodium: 218.8
- Fat: 10.6
- Saturated Fat: 4.4
- Trans Fat: .1
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 9.2
- Cholesterol: 173.6
Keywords: Keto Meal Prep Breakfast Recipe, Keto Egg Muffin Recipe, Low Carb Egg Muffins
Leave a Reply