Busy weeknights and a low carb diet don’t always mesh. But when you have all of the ingredients for a delicious keto sausage and peppers recipe, sticking to your keto diet is easy!
And don’t think you need to sacrifice taste when it comes to this sausage and peppers skillet. This low carb meal is bursting with Italian flavors. This keto favorite makes an easy dinner your entire family will enjoy.
Before we get into the sausage talk (mind out of gutter) – here’s a few more delicious sausage recipes you’ll love: keto sausage crust pizza or quick and easy sheet pan sausage and peppers (it’s like this recipe, but it’s sausage peppers and onions in the oven).
Sausage with Peppers and Onions Ingredients
Sausage Links: The star of this sausage and peppers skillet is sausage. While I use sweet Italian sausage made from pork (this kind of sausage keeps this easy meal high in fat) – choose whichever type of sausage you enjoy.
Other choices include beef sausage, turkey sausage, or chicken sausage. You could also go with another version of sausage, like hot Italian sausage, or even smoked sausage. (I’m starting to feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump rambling about sausage 🤣).
Even though other sausages have more protein and less fat than pork sausages, they still work for keto sausage and peppers. My second favorite is chicken sausage and peppers. I make this when I want a higher protein meal.
Veggies: You need onions and peppers of course! Since there’s a variety to choose from, go with your preference.
I grab a green bell pepper and red bell pepper for color – but multiple colors aren’t necessary for a great flavor. If you have a few green bell peppers on hand – use them!
While yellow and white onions are great for a skillet recipe, you can use red onions in a pinch. My favorite is a large sweet onion.
Spices: The spice blend for this Italian sausage and peppers recipe include dried basil flakes, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes for a little kick. You can add black pepper into your spice mix too.
You could also ditch the spice mix entirely, and use an Italian seasoning blend instead.
Minced garlic is used while sauteing the veggies. Don’t have any on hand? Mix some garlic powder into the spice mix … if you love garlic as much as me.
Oil: Choose a high-heat cooking oil like avocado oil since this dish sizzles. Top it off with olive oil at the end if you like that additional Italian flavor.
Let’s Get Cooking
Start by slicing the onions and peppers into long thin slices, and then set aside. Be sure to set the sausage out on the counter while you slice since it will cook more evenly at room temperature.
Then add the avocado oil into a large skillet and turn to medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sausage links. You may need to step back in case the oil splatters while adding the sausage.
Cook each side until the outside is brown. This should only take a couple of minutes per side. Please note, the sausage will not be fully cooked at this point.
Once both sides are browned, remove the sausage and set aside to cool. Turn the heat down.
Next add the minced garlic, sliced peppers and onion into the skillet over medium heat. Saute peppers and onions until they soften, which takes about 5 minutes. Stir on occasion so the veggies don’t burn.
While the veggies soften, carefully cut the sausages into one inch thick slices. I use a few paper towels to hold the sausage on the cutting board since it’s still very hot.
You can also combine the spices into a small mixing bowl while you wait for the veggies to cook.
Once the veggies are soft, add the sliced sausage into the skillet. Top with the spice mix and stir to combine well.
Then cover the sausage and peppers skillet for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together. Remove from heat and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container to serve as lunch or dinner for the rest of the week.
If you love the Italian flavor olive oil provides, then you can stir a tablespoon of olive oil (or two) in once you remove the keto sausage and peppers from heat. While olive oil is a healthy fat you should consume on keto, it’s best served at room temp.
What Do You Have with Sausage and Peppers?
Even though you can enjoy this great meal as is, here’s a few ideas of what to serve with sausage and peppers:
- Serve over buttery zoodles (or even pasta for non-keto family members)
- Add a green salad or Caesar salad on the side (homemade dressing is best to avoid bad oils)
- Serve cooked sausage on top of cauliflower rice or with cauliflower mash
- Add a side of roasted vegetables, like roasted parmesan broccoli and cauliflower or brussels sprouts
- Mix in Rao’s marinara sauce, melt mozzarella cheese on top, and serve like a pastaless Italian dish (or serve on a crusty bun for non-keto family)
If you’re still wondering is sausage keto friendly, the answer is yes – but always check the label. Some brands may have added sugar, so read the ingredients and nutrition label before you buy to look for a brand that’s low in net carbs.
Since bell peppers are low in carbs, they make a great keto veggie option. Still, some people should avoid green peppers on keto. Learn when you should avoid green peppers on a keto diet.
Recipe Wrap Up
Keto recipes your whole family loves can be easy. Just whip up a keto-friendly main dish, like this keto sausage and peppers recipe, then add your family’s favorite sides.
Keep your meal to a serving of keto sausage and veggies, while your family mixes and matches some of the side suggestions above.
Prefer sheet pan meals instead? Then don’t forget to check out that Italian sausage and peppers in oven recipe I mentioned earlier. I also recommend this crockpot Philly cheese beef recipe as another quick meal for busy nights.
Save this recipe for next time. Please share with your friends on social media too.
Keep scrolling for the recipe card and nutritional information.
Make Keto Easy
Still struggling to lose weight on keto, even with delicious recipes like this? Make keto easy with the same course hundreds of women used to finally lose weight on keto – even when every other plan failed.
This is the same info I used to lose 100 pounds with a low carb lifestyle I love.
Keto Sausage and Peppers
More All-In-One Keto Dinners:
Crockpot Philly Beef
Coconut Chicken Stir Fry
Layered Taco Salad
Keto Sausage and Peppers
Keto sausage and peppers is an easy one pan keto meal your whole family will love. Enjoy this low carb sausage and peppers skillet by itself, or serve on top of cauliflower rice or zoodles to make a quick dinner that helps you stick to keto.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Keto Dinner Recipe
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Keto / Low Carb
- Diet: Diabetic
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2–3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Slice the onions and peppers. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Once hot, add the sausage links. Cook approximately 2-3 minutes per side, or until brown on both sides. (They will not be fully cooked).
- Remove sausage from the oil and place on a cutting board. Allow sausage to cool.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add minced garlic, peppers and onions to the oil. Saute until the veggies soften, approximately 5 minutes. Stir on occasion.
- Add the basil, oregano, salt and red pepper flakes to a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Slice the partially cooked sausage into 1 inch thick slices.
- Add sausage into the pan with the veggies. Top with spices and stir well.
- Cover and allow the flavors to blend over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the olive oil.
- To change the flavor of this dish, mix in 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. Once it’s just about done, add mozzarella cheese on top and allow it to melt over the entire sausage and peppers skillet.
- Cover the sausage with a folded paper towel while slicing since the sausage links are still very hot.
- Choose whichever type of sausage you prefer for this easy keto recipe. While other kinds of sausage are higher in protein and contain less fat, most will still work with this recipe.
- Serving Size: Recipe Serves 4
- Calories: 544.2
- Sugar: 4.7
- Sodium: 911.6
- Fat: 47
- Saturated Fat: 19.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 27.3
- Trans Fat: .1
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 1.5
- Protein: 21.7
- Cholesterol: 91.9
Keywords: Keto Sausage and Peppers, Chicken Sausage and Peppers, What do you have with sausage and peppers
An easy keto sausage and peppers recipe your whole family will love.